Profile

Scientist by day, hobby manga artist by night, Mave reserves this site for rants and ramblings about Anime/Manga, Christian Music and Faith, Crime Investigation, Cooking Disasters, Food Science, JRockers, travelling experiences, random everyday life stuff and humor. XD

Words of Wisdom


Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.
1 Corinthians 15:58


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Phillippians 4:6-7


My Websites

TheProject
DeviantArt: MaveT


Bishonen/Biseinen<3

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Blog Links

* JMouse * Midori-Rish * LittleBIGgirl * Raion-sama * Cyclist * D&JinJapan * Cyber-Red * The Pest * twentyfivecents * Wing Wing * Chette * KrescentMoon * Grim-Neader * Psycho Ann * Solid Ronin * UC pseudonym * Valerie * PathMakers * Fahrenheit * Jars of Clay * A FoodBlog


Fanlistings

registered at kcome.blogspot.com

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Credits

HTML Coding by MyrrhLynn
General Art Design by Me Me Me! XD
LeeHom belongs to eh.. himself. :(

Sunday, January 22, 2006


Birthday Celebration 2006

Thanks to all friends and family who shared my birthday celebration with kind greetings and showered me with generous gifts! I'm truly blessed with great people in my life. I was surprised by gifts I didn't expect ~ hand-knitted scarf from a work colleague, jacket-CD combo by my dear Brats [as seen in pic] and an iRiver FM transmitter by my college buddy to complement the Mp3 player my ex gave me (yahoo, I can now play Mp3s in my car). XD

Image hosting by Photobucket

Friday evening: Ate pad thai (yum!) at a Thai restaurant and hanged out with fellow interns/work colleagues at some grill & pub place. The place wasn't too smoky and I tasted various beers my colleagues were drinking (I don't drink but that doesn't stop me from "sampling" out of curiosity XD). I couldn't find much differences between the beers: All I get is bitter in the end. Bleh. I prefer drinking something sweet and more flavorful with just a little alcohol to add some kick, not the other way 'round!
Saturday/ whole day: Out of town ~ returned to campus to hang out with college buddies. Had my car serviced, bought random stuff for myself, hanged out at comic/book stores, and finally watched "The Exorcist of Emily Rose" on DVD (see next section for further comment)
Sunday/half day: Went to church in the morning and made my way home.

Phew......the weekend is almost over and I didn't get a chance to do anything! I mean, work/comic project-wise. Let's see how much I can get done today. (@_@)

But yeah, THANK YOU to everyone for making my birthday a blessing! The PMs, emails, phonecalls, SMS, e-cards, gifts and celebrations were awesome and reminded me how great it is to be alive! XD

***********************************************************
The Exorcism of Emily Rose

Image hosting by Photobucket

This isn't a joke. Something strange happened in my apartment few weeks ago. I woke up to a toasting/overheating smell in my apartment at 3 a.m. and had a hard time sleeping for the rest of the night. I told my friends the next day and they all went " (@_@);; Creepy! That's exactly what happened in the Exorcism of Emily Rose, right before she got possessed!" JUST GREAT. I hadn't watched the movie so I didn't clue into this connection until I watched the movie last night.

While I was slightly creeped out by how similar my experience was with the movie character, as a whole, I was surprised/impressed with how well-executed the movie was. I initially thought this movie was going to focus on sensationalizing the exorcism, just as how some previous movies have done. However, the message or rather, the questions, the movie brings forth was thought-provoking. [NOTE = Spoilers ahead]

I personally know very little about demon possession and have never witnessed one. I lean towards, "What's there not to believe, especially when there are such accounts in the Bible and when there are real life accounts of such experiences all over the world?" So, I'm not really concerned with whether it happens or not. I believe that it does.

What I'm MORE interested in is "Why does this happen?" Is it similar to the reason why God allowed Satan to torment Job, a faithful and God-fearing man (Book of Job)? How can God use something so awful for good? How can an exorcism fail? How is it that the power of God's Spirit failed during the casting out of demons? "Why would God allow such a thing to happen?"

The movie did a great job suggesting the Christian explanation through Emily's letter to Father Moore -- "People say that God is dead, but how can they believe that when I show them the Devil?" This point of view suggest that God allowed this to happen to Emily so that people will be aware of a spiritual realm the modern world has downplayed many times. I am at peace with this point of view as it just made sense to me. God allowed this exorcism to go "wrong" for a higher purpose.

The other thing I found fascinating about this movie was the court scene. The arguments between the prosecutor and defendant attorney stoled the attention of yours truly, a Law & Order/CSI buff (hehehehe). Instead of merely disproving the medical/scientific opinions of Emily, the defendant took on the burden of offering the alternative explanation - a spiritual battle. Defendant attorney, Erin Burner, nailed it in her closing speech. "Facts leave no room for reasonable doubt. This trial isn't about facts. It's about possibilities."

Finally, the verdict on Father Moore blew me away - "Guilty but free." This may seem strange for some but I think it summarizes the core beliefs of the Christian faith beautifully. We are all sinners who are guilty but we are forgiven and set free by God through Jesus Christ. It makes me consider the wounds on Emily's pierced hands, which mirror the wounds of Christ - signifying the sacrifice made for the greater good of all mankind.

All in all, I find Exorcism of Emily Rose an outstanding movie as I felt it adequately offered the audience a balance of two different point of views at the end (i.e. the believer and the skeptic). It makes us all question our capability to rationalize and wonder whether the senses we acknowledge (sight, taste, hearing, smell and touch) are all there is to it. What about our 6th sense...the spiritual sense, if such a thing exists? I lean towards "Just because you can't see something, doesn't mean it isn't there" and yet, there is no fear or anxiety in facing this possibility because I firmly believe that God is Loving and is in Full Control.



*********** ~('_'~) ~('__')~ (~'_')~ ***********


3 Comments:

At 3:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have seen the movie, too. I wasn't intend to watch it. But there was one day my family and I and my cousin (visited us from NY) came back home from Canada, and we went to visit my aunt. My uncle bought that movie, so we watched it around 11 or 12 sth at that night. It was very scary to me. I was absolutely shocked by some horrible scenes, and I could not fall asleep on that night. I totally did not appreciate my uncle's invitation to watch this movie. But I was touched by the message the movie brings out.

I personally also believe in demon's existence in this world as it's also mentioned in the Bible. At first I was thinking the same thing as you did. Why did God let this thing happen. But He might did this for a higher purpose like you said. People keep ignoring God and they don't believe in Him. And I hope people who have watched this movie could get some sense out of it. I really appreciate for your sharing here as we sometimes forget God's love and mercy toward us. We need to be alerted from time to time for our spiritual life. And don't forget God is always here in control of everything. ^_^

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger back to free said...

Happy Birthday. I hope you had a good time. It sounds like you did. Your birthday was as good as mine ever are, and probably better.

 
At 7:54 AM, Blogger Reta said...

yo woman hugsssssssssssssssssssssss

just felt like it hehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home


Powered by Blogger